Saturday, September 15, 2007


HUNTING A SHADOW

Chapter 5

My heart is beating. I need to catch this guy. He's not getting away from me this time.
The cars wheels screeched across the road leaving tyre marks all over the place. Smoke came out of the bonnet due to damage on the bumper and the landings. The fugitive’s car was speeding at over 80 mph. He was going to kill someone at that speed. I need to stop him quickly. Suddenly, I heard gunfire ahead. He was shooting at me with an Uzi. He shot at me numerous times. Missing the car by centimeters.

I reached into the back and got hold of my shot gun. My partner who was sitting in the passenger seat next to me was shocked with fright from both the gunfire and the speed i was driving at. I looked at him. He was hit. The blood was squirting at the windshield. I smashed the windshield with the shotgun. Then i got a clear shot at him. Suddenly he braked. My car went straight into his car, creating a large thick cloud of smoke. I reached for my gun once again.

I saw him struggling to get out of the car. I got out the car as fast as possible to catch this criminal before he got away.
I ran to his car door and smashed the window. I pointed my gun at his face and told him to get out slowly. But when I looked at him he was in no state to get out. He was unconscious with blood all over his face.
I stepped away from his car and called an ambulance for my partner and this bastard that shot him.

The ambulance got here but by the time they reached my partner he was dead. He died of blood loss. I was sad and angry. I was going to kill that bastard if I got near him.
But he got his just desserts. Later on that day he died of blood loss too. I felt better but it won’t get me over the pain of my partner and life long friend.

That was my day before it happened.
My name is Ben James. Known as speed by my colleagues. I’m a 25 year old cop who upholds the law in any means necessary.
After I left the hospital i walked home. I didn’t fell like driving tonight. I went over to a near by pub to drown my sorrows. As i walked there i noticed a man driving his car into a garage. I stopped and watched as he parked it up and ran.

I was a bit suspicious but what came next was the worst thing i had ever seen. A hooded man. Killing this man, one shot and he was on the floor.
He stabbed him so many times. He looked up at me. As he stood i ran. I didn’t see anything else that happened. When i ran i went into an alleyway. I waited for about thirty minutes, then walked back round from the alleyway, carrying a pistol i had in my gun holster. I took small steps, getting closer slowly. The killer was gone.
As i got closer, i saw the markings on his chest. I reached for my phone to call for back up and an ambulance. But he was already dead. I saw the man who worked in the garage; he was running over to help. As he got closer i kept my gun up in the air. Still being wary of the murderer, I shouted him to stay away but he continued to approach the body. By the time he was next to it he was already crouched down. I question the man about what happened after this guy was killed. He wouldn’t speak. He was petrified with fright. His face as white as a ghost, His breath as cold as ice.

Then he saw me. He looked up at me. He said "Why" And then walked back slowly. Getting further away from me, he looked into an alley and ran.
I haven’t seen him since that day. And since that day I have dedicated all my time into catching this man. And at the same time losing all who I love.

That was twenty years ago. Now I’m a 45 year old and out of a job, retired from field work. I was demoted to working behind a desk. But i quit, it wasn’t for me. I needed to find this man, either get him behind bars or kill him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Google